You are welcome to click any photos for a larger view.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Moths

More interesting specimens on my nightly walks.

The first moth stopped me dead in my tracks. On first glance it looked like it had a sword on its back. I know my son Jack would go nuts so I put him in a big box so he would see when he awoke in the AM.


When I brought the moth inside I noticed the image upside down. It looked like both a cross....and Christ with arms outstretched.





I did some searching on the internet and discovered this moth is called a It’s called a Clymene moth, fairly common in northeastern woodlands. Not in this area! The caterpillar feeds on a variety of plants, including oaks and willows. Adults fly during the day as well as night, and at night, are attracted to lights. With a little more searching I found that Clymene is of Greek origin and means “renowned one.” In Greek mythology, Clymene was the daughter of Oceanus, and the mother of Atlas and Promethus. Why this particular moth is called Clymene, I have no idea. I know there are “Promethea” moths that are black and yellow – so perhaps there is a connection somewhere in either the coloring or the species.

Range -Eastern North America and its Habitat -Deciduous forests and adjacent fields, etc
Unusual moth, certainly around these parts. But so interesting...to me...a reminder of Christ Love!




This is another interesting moth. It was camouflaged on the red brick of my house. But it was the tiny little moving "string" or "hair" on its back that moved as if to call in other bugs closer. Although I do not know if this is the purpose for the hair. I looked and looked for info on this moth. The closest I found was Orgyia antiqua, although the coloring is the same, none mentioned the single hair...and none had such a thick body. In any case, this one is interesting.





Linking to Susan's Outdoor Wednesday at Southern Daydreamer.

Please join me tomorrow at Tales from Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday and MORE!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Really interesting stuff! The first one really makes you take notice and wonder why it's marked so! Don't markings usually have to do with survival, like camouflage, or circles that look like big eyes to confuse prey etc.

La said...

Such a beautiful moth. Thank you for sharing. La

Anonymous said...

great post thanks